Yesterday I was introduced into a brilliant pedagogical strategy. Dr. Valerie Irvine had us read Sharing a Pragmatic Networked Model For Open Pedagogy: The Open Hub Model of Knowledge Generation In Higher Education Environments by Graham and Roberts (2018). We read this paper after we attended our first class that focused not only on introducing us to each other, but explained the class expectations and composition. Our class is to have regular blog posts that we share with each other, and read. The posts are to be a reflection of where we are at, as well as a deep look at the journals, articles and class discussion. I could not help but find a parallel between my perceptions of Dr. Irvine’s explanation of this class and the paper by Graham and Roberts. I find this a brilliant method. It allows us to have an insight into the reasons for our pedagogical methods, and helps support the reason behind those methods with research.
I wonder if I could do a case student on key learning strategies for teaching math with a math class, and then apply those strategies to the class. Would understand the reasoning and research behind the methods help support and provide buy in to those methods?
Take blogging, for example. I have never enjoyed the act of keeping a journal or a running record of my thoughts. A few times in my life I attempted to keep a journal, but it usually stopped within a week. I am fairly self reflective, but there was something about putting my thoughts on paper that made me uncomfortable. If I had not read this paper, and understood how creating a blog will help me navigate and customize my own learning, as well as see the growth and thoughts of my peers, I may have been more reticent to do it. I would have accomplished what was asked of me, that is just who I am, but now that I know why it is being asked I am much more open to doing it.
This makes me think of Simon Sinek’s Golden Circle, as explained in his Ted Talk How great leaders inspire action:

If you start with the why, then people will buy in a lot better. This paper allowed us to start with the why we are creating blogs and learning in this method. Now that I know that, I will diligently try to use this medium to further my learning and understanding.